While it varies depending on the state, the average statute of limitations on medical bills is 7 years. What happens if you're contacted about old medical debt? Have it verified. If it's inaccurate you can dispute it. The easiest way to dispute errors on your credit report is w/help from a pro like Credit Glory.
What is the statute of limitations on medical bills?
The statute of limitations on medical debt varies by state. However, in most states its around 7 years. What does that mean for your debt? While you're still responsible for repaying the debt, creditors can't sue you over it. Creditors may still contact you about debt — even after the statute of limitations is up. So what can you do?
What to do if you're contacted about an old debt
If a debt collector contacts you about a debt that's more than 7 years old, don't pay it right away. That's because agreeing to terms and restrictions restarts the clock on the debt. Instead, here's what you can do:
- Ask for a written notice of the debt - Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, debt collectors are required to provide written notice of debts. If the debt collector doesn't provide one, it's a sign you're likely dealing with a scammer.
- Confirm the debt is w/in the statute of limitations - Confirming that it's w/in your state's statute of limitations is important. Why? Because if the debt is past the statute of limitations, you can take steps to prevent the collector from taking legal action against you.
- Have the debt verified - Debt records aren't always accurate — and you don't want to be stuck with a debt that isn't yours. Having the debt verified is important. Not only does the collection agency have to provide proof it's yours, but if they don't, you can dispute it.
- Dispute the debt - If there's no evidence proving the debt is yours, you can dispute it. Sending a dispute letter to credit bureaus with evidence for your claim to get it removed. A faster (& easier) alternative is having a credit repair company (like Credit Glory) dispute it for you.
Why disputing inaccurate debts is important
Inaccurate debts on your credit report have serious consequences. That's why it's important to dispute & remove them. A strong credit score opens the door to things like:
- Better options for mortgages, personal, & auto loans
- Qualifying for lower (& better) interest rates
- Faster approval on loans (great for financial emergencies)
While you can identify and dispute errors yourself, it's challenging (& time-consuming). Credit repair pros (like Credit Glory) make finding and disputing errors fast (& easy).
Bottom line (& why it matters for you)
While you can check your credit, look for errors, and dispute them yourself, it takes time (& hard work). Looking for an easier alternative (that's less hassle)? Consider working with a credit repair expert — like Credit Glory. They do the work for you, so you don't have to.
Why repair your credit w/Credit Glory vs DIY?
Removing inaccurate collections (& other errors) helps improve your credit (& boost your score). DIY credit repair is a headache. Partnering w/Credit Glory is often a simpler alternative. Why?
- Easier - Making a mistake disputing DIY costs you. Credit Glory helps you build a strong case for disputing inaccurate collections (& boosting your score).
- Saves you money - An unsuccessful dispute leaves you stuck with debt (& poor credit). Credit Glory helps you boost your score — which means saving money on loans (& interest rates).
- Top-class customer support - Credit Glory has best-in-class customer service to answer questions and keep you updated. Credit Glory even offers an industry-leading 100% money-back guarantee (if no errors are removed in the first 90 days).
Boost your credit (& your score) w/help from Credit Glory
Disputing negative items on your credit report is hard work! It takes a lot of time, effort, organization, and follow up. The good news? Our team of credit repair professionals is here to simplify everything! Let your dedicated credit repair expert relieve you of the stress, hassle, and time needed to fight your inaccuracies and boost your credit score (FAST!)
Credit Glory is a credit repair company that empowers consumers with the opportunity and knowledge to reach their financial dreams in 2021 and beyond.
Call us at (855) 938-3044 or set up a consultation to get started, today!
Get Your Medical Bills Professionally Removed
In some cases, we recommend speaking with a Credit Repair professional to analyze your credit report. It's so much less stress, hassle, and time to let professionals identify the reasons for your score drop.
If you're looking for a reputable company to increase your credit score, we recommend Credit Glory. Call them on (833) 498-0273 or setup a consultation with them. They also happen to have incredible customer service.
Credit Glory is a credit repair company that helps everyday Americans remove inaccurate, incomplete, unverifiable, unauthorized, or fraudulent negative items from their credit report. Their primary goal is empowering consumers with the opportunity and knowledge to reach their financial dreams in 2020 and beyond.