Verified Collections Expert
Learn the pros & cons of pay for delete letters & if they actually help you improve your credit. Find out how disputing errors is easier w/help from Credit Glory.
Pay for delete letters are one way you can try and improve your credit. The easiest way? Working with a reputable credit repair company like Credit Glory. They identify and dispute errors on your credit report (& help boost your score!)
What is a pay for delete letter?
It's no secret that negative items on your credit report hurt your score. If you want to improve your credit (& are wondering how to remove negative items) a pay for delete letter could help. Pay for delete letter asks creditors to remove any negative items — & in return you pay the full amount or an agreed sum.
When should you send a pay for delete letter?
Negative items — like collections or late payments — have a huge impact on your credit score. Sometimes by as much as 100 points! This has serious consequences, and a low credit score means fewer options on loans and higher interest rates.
Luckily, pay for delete letters are a viable option for removing negative items and improving your credit score. So when should you send one?
- The expiration date for the debt is several years away
- You have the money to pay the full amount of the debt
- The debt has been verified by the collection agency
What to include
To make sure your pay for delete letter is effective be sure to include:
- Your full legal name and address
- The collection agency's name and address
- The alleged amount you owe
Make sure you don't acknowledge the debt is yours but rather ask that the collection agency prove it's yours. This way, if they don't provide evidence it's your debt, you can dispute it and have it removed.
Pros & cons of pay for delete letters
Using a "pay for delete" letter to remove negative items is an option for DIY credit repair. Like everything, there are pros and cons to pay for delete letters.
- It's easy to do - Writing a pay for delete letter is easy, and can be done quickly. You can even find templates online to help you get started.
- Potentially pay less than what you owe - In some instances you may be able to negotiate to pay less than the full amount of the debt. Often this means making a lump sum payment, and before you do, be sure to get the agreement in writing.
- Minimize impact on credit score - Having negative items on your credit report can mean the difference between having good credit or poor credit. Successfully removing them with a pay for delete letter can boost your score.
- Collection agencies are not obligated to accept it - Even after going through the time and trouble of writing a pay for delete letter, debt collectors don't have to accept it. In fact, they may simply ignore or deny it.
- Usually only works on a small scale - Pay for delete letters are usually more effective when dealing with smaller debts, like phone or utility bills. Large creditors, like banks and credit unions, often don't accept them.
- There are more effective methods - Pay for delete letters aren't necessarily the most effective ways to remove negative items on your credit report. You're likely to be more successful disputing unverified debts yourself or with help from a credit repair company (like Credit Glory).
So should you write a pay for delete letter?
Writing and sending a pay for delete letter is an option for having negative items removed. However, their low success rate means you might want to explore other options. Identifying and disputing errors on your credit report is often a more effective way to improve your credit. And it's even easier with help from an experienced credit repair company (like Credit Glory).
Boost your score with Credit Glory
Disputing negative items on your credit report is hard work! It takes a lot of time, effort, organization, and follow up. The good news? Our team of credit repair professionals is here to simplify everything! Let your dedicated credit repair expert relieve you of the stress, hassle, and time needed to fight your inaccuracies and boost your credit score (FAST!)
Credit Glory is a credit repair company that empowers consumers with the opportunity and knowledge to reach their financial dreams in 2021 and beyond.
Call us at (855) 938-3044 or set up a consultation to get started, today!