Verified Collections Expert
Find out whether debt collectors can collect expired debts & what you can do. Learn how removing errors helps your credit & how Credit Glory can help.
Dealing w/debt is stressful, but how about dealing with a debt over 10 years old? If you're getting contacted about a debt past the statute of limitations you have options. Looking to improve your credit (& boost your score)? The easiest option for that is partnering w/Credit Glory!
Can a debt collector collect a debt that is over 10 years old?
Dealing with debt collectors is stressful, especially when you get contacted about an old debt. While the statute of limitations on collecting debts varies on state, in most cases, it's 10 years. What does that mean? It means that after a debt is over 10 years old, debt collectors can't take legal action against you to collect it. It doesn't mean they won't try.
What to do if you're contacted about an old debt
If a debt collector contacts you about a debt that's more than 10 years old, don't pay it right away. That's because agreeing to terms and restrictions restarts the clock on the debt. Instead, here's what you can do:
- Ask for a written notice of the debt - Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act debt collectors are required to provide written notice of debts. If the debt collector doesn't provide one, it's a sign you're likely dealing with a scammer.
- Confirm the debt is w/in the statute of limitations - Confirming that it's w/in your state's statute of limitations is important. Why? Because if the debt is past the statute of limitations, you can take steps to prevent the collector from taking legal action against you.
- Have the debt verified - Debt records aren't always accurate — and you don't want to be stuck with a debt that isn't yours. Having the debt verified is important. Not only does the collection agency have to provide proof it's yours, but if they don't, you can dispute it.
- Dispute the debt - If there's no evidence proving the debt is yours, you can dispute it. Sending a dispute letter to credit bureaus with evidence for your claim to get it removed. A faster (& easier) alternative is having a credit repair company (like Credit Glory) dispute it for you.
Why disputing inaccurate collections is important
Inaccurate collections on your credit report have serious consequences. That's why it's important to dispute & remove them. A strong credit score opens the door to things like:
- Better options for mortgages, personal, & auto loans
- Qualifying for lower (& better) interest rates
- Faster approval on loans (great for financial emergencies)
While you can identify and dispute errors yourself, it's challenging (& time-consuming). Credit repair pros (like Credit Glory) make finding and disputing errors fast (& easy).
Bottom line (& why it matters for you)
While you can check your credit, look for errors, and dispute them yourself, it takes time (& hard work). Looking for an easier alternative (that's less hassle)? Consider working with a credit repair expert — like Credit Glory. They do the work for you, so you don't have to.
Why repair your credit w/Credit Glory vs DIY?
Removing inaccurate collections (& other errors) helps improve your credit (& boost your score). DIY credit repair is a headache. Partnering w/Credit Glory is often a simpler alternative. Why?
- Easier - Making a mistake disputing DIY costs you. Credit Glory helps you build a strong case for disputing inaccurate collections (& boosting your score).
- Saves you money - An unsuccessful dispute leaves you stuck with debt (& poor credit). Credit Glory helps you boost your score — which means saving money on loans (& interest rates).
- Top-class customer support - Credit Glory has best-in-class customer service to answer questions and keep you updated. Credit Glory even offers an industry-leading 100% money-back guarantee (if no errors are removed in the first 90 days).
Boost your score with Credit Glory
Disputing negative items on your credit report is hard work! It takes a lot of time, effort, organization, and follow up. The good news? Our team of credit repair professionals is here to simplify everything! Let your dedicated credit repair expert relieve you of the stress, hassle, and time needed to fight your inaccuracies and boost your credit score (FAST!)
Credit Glory is a credit repair company that empowers consumers with the opportunity and knowledge to reach their financial dreams in 2021 and beyond.
Call us at (855) 938-3044 or set up a consultation to get started, today!