Who is SmartCredit (& do they provide accurate scores)?
SmartCredit offers credit monitoring services for those who are ready to take control financially. If you're planning on buying a home, a car, or need a loan, monitoring your credit is vital. Why? Nasty credit score (& report) related surprises can throw a wrench in your plans (@ the worst possible time).
The crux to credit monitoring services? How accurately they report your score. Sure, the cost, reviews, and additional services are significant too — but w/o a precise score, how legitimate can they be? There is good news. Most credit reporting companies (including SmartCredit) provide accurate, up-to-date scores.
If you're unhappy about the reported score, you aren't helpless. The (most efficient) solution? Partner w/ a reputable, credit repair professional (like Credit Glory) & find+correct mistakes (boosting your score).
3 critical items you need to consider before monitoring your credit
1. If you aren't monitoring your credit, you need to be.
If you're planning on getting a loan, you need to know your credit score first. Using credit monitoring tells you your score — and it also alerts you when there are changes. Knowing about potential identity theft, fraud, or data breaches prevents your credit score from taking serious hits. Additionally, knowing your score helps you set goals and plan, so you can get a low rate (& great deal) on a loan.
2. Don't get scammed by illegitimate credit monitoring services.
Credit monitoring at a low price (or free) sounds like a deal, right? Wrong, this is a big red flag that it may be a scam. You also encounter another (big) reason to proceed with caution. Signing up for a credit monitoring service involves sharing sensitive information. What can you do for security?
The best way to protect yourself (& your identity) is looking for common red flags. A few are:
- Asking for personal information over the phone or email.
- Requiring payment through money order or gift cards.
- Poor ratings or customer reviews with an accredited agency (like the BBB).
Last, and certainly not least, do your due diligence. Anytime you fork over personal information to a company you need to do your research & verify credibility. The good news? You're reading this review, so you're too smart to be grifted by con-artists.
3. An essential (& often overlooked) component of credit monitoring - identity protection (& does SmartCredit offer it?)
Good credit requires more than just monitoring. A critical component? Identity Protection. Without ID protection fraudsters could wreck your credit in the blink of an eye. In fact, according to the FTC, 9 million identities are stolen every year! The bottom line? You need identity protection w/ your credit monitoring package.
The good news? SmartCredit does include ID protection in their plan. With this crucial component, you have more comprehensive monitoring. They even provide identity theft insurance.
What's the verdict on SmartCredit's credit monitoring — legit or scam?
- Can you sign up for free? - SmartCredit offers two packages: Basic ($14.95/month) and Premium ($19.99/month).
- Is it safe to monitor credit with SmartCredit? - They have an A rating and are accredited by the BBB.
- Do they offer an app? - SmartCredit provides a mobile app for both Android and Apple phones.
- Is there a cost to cancel? - There's no cost to cancel membership.
- Do they include ID protection? - SmartCredit provides identity theft insurance as part of their services.
- What makes SmartCredit special? - Reports from all three credit bureaus (Equifax, TransUnion, & Experian), identity theft insurance, Money Manager, regular alerts.
- Will checking my credit score with SmartCredit lower my score? - Credit monitoring will not negatively impact your score.
Our recommendation: should you work with SmartCredit to monitor your credit?
SmartCredit can be a useful tool for monitoring your credit. The downside? They don't offer comprehensive ID protection. With companies like IdentityIQ, you get both credit monitoring & ID protection.
Why you get more with IdentityIQ (over SmartCredit)
IdentityIQ is a great alternative to SmartCredit. They offer accurate credit reporting from all three bureaus as well as comprehensive identity protection including:
- $1 million in stolen funds reimbursement
- Coverage for personal expense compensation
- Dark web monitoring
- US-based ID restoration services
They even provide you with a credit score simulator to help you create a plan for improving your credit score.
What credit monitoring does & doesn't do for you
First, let's start with what credit monitoring does do for you. Every company (& monitoring plan) has different aspects that they track. In general, monitored items include several principal areas such as:
- (Hard) Inquiries
- New accounts opened
- Current balances
- Payment history
This watchdog is a powerful tool — but there are limitations. It functions like an alarm. It alerts you to an issue, but handling the problem is up to you. Dealing with inaccurate (or incorrectly reported) items in these areas is an entirely new problem that monitoring alone can't solve. This is where credit repair, either on your own or with an experienced expert, saves the day.
Credit monitoring + credit repair: A holistic approach to your credit
Credit monitoring is only half the equation for healthy credit. The other half? Credit repair. Credit monitoring alerts you to errors — but doesn't fix them. Removing the errors (& boosting your score) is a job for credit repair.
You could take on a notoriously convoluted credit industry and repair on your own (good luck w/ that). The better way? Partner with a reputable credit repair company (like Credit Glory). Credit Glory has the experience to fix errors in all areas monitored by credit monitoring companies.
Why Credit Glory + IdentityIQ = your best credit score
- Identify (& fix) errors quicker - Combining credit repair & monitoring, puts you in the driver's seat. You're equipped to handle any credit issues that come your way.
- Boost your financial confidence - An expert team — ready to pounce on any credit issues — gives you the confidence to reach your financial goals. You can apply for the loans you deserve (w/o worrying about credit surprises).
- Take control of your finances - Monitoring your credit and hiring a company to correct mistakes is the smart move. It puts you in control of your credit (& future). Nothing says you're serious about your goals like taking charge of your finances.
Boost your score with Credit Glory
Disputing negative items on your credit report is hard work! It takes a lot of time, effort, organization, and follow up. The good news? Our team of credit repair professionals are here to simplify everything! Let your dedicated credit repair expert relieve you of the stress, hassle, and time needed to fight your inaccuracies and boost your credit score (FAST!)
Credit Glory is a credit repair company that empowers consumers with the opportunity and knowledge to reach their financial dreams in 2020 and beyond.
SmartCredit has an A rating with the BBB. They have been helping their customers keep an eye on their credit since 2000. These alerts let customers fix problems. Want to get the most from credit monitoring? Team up w/ a reputable credit repair expert — like Credit Glory — then you're equipped to squash credit problems (fast)!